Below, we have listed some recommendations for how you can increase self-worth and improve your mental health to help make YOU your first true love - as you should be.
6 Ways to Increase Self-Worth & Improve Your Mental Health
- Proper Self Care - Self-worth begins at bedtime. Make sure you are getting 8 full hours of sleep each night to help prepare you for the next day’s events. Eating a healthy diet and drinking plenty of water will also help you to feel your best.
- Exercise - Try to get your heart rate up for at least 30 minutes to an hour each day doing an activity you enjoy. Whether it’s basketball, gardening, Zumba, or yoga, your body, mind, and spirit will all benefit from movement. Your mental health is strengthened when you take time out of each day to focus your energy on an active goal of self-improvement.
- Sunlight - Spend an hour each day in the sunlight. Even if it’s chilly outside, nature has healing and calming qualities; increased amounts of oxygen and the energizing rays of the sun can do a lot for the body. Interacting with nature and allowing a little sun to shine on your face is good for quieting the mind as well as good for supplementing the soul.
- Connect with Your Inner Child - Be confident in your own skin and proud of your authenticity. Allow time in the day to reflect on your deepest inner desires. Create a vision board of pictures and words that bring you joy and fulfillment, and hang it where you will see it every day. Take time to get lost in a favorite hobby or some much-needed meditation to help clear the mind and reboot your thoughts.
- Journal Daily - Writing your goals and daily reflections in a journal aids in self-expression, and therefore, helps you to process your thoughts, feelings, and emotions. This is also a good place to list short and long-term personal goals that are exciting and achievable.
- Show Gratitude - This is a big one. Showing gratitude and appreciation for your strengths and talents increase self-love and self-worth; your focus is shifted off of your flaws and onto everything that makes you amazing!
We spend years of our lives finding ways to improve and perfect external and aesthetic qualities like toning our bodies, trying new hairstyles, glorifying appearances with makeup and buying fashionable apparel. It is equally important to improve the person inside each of us through discovering and effectively managing methods, such as those listed above that support and strengthen our mental health.