Jennifer Self is a psychiatric nurse practitioner (APRN) and a licensed mental health counselor (LMHC). She has a doctoral degree in couple and family therapy and a master’s degree in nursing from Saint Louis University. Dr. Self is a former director and assistant director of two collegiate mental health centers and has been a faculty member at several colleges including Galen College of Nursing.
Dr. Self has extensive experience providing mental health counseling and psychiatry services to adolescent and adult clients. She utilizes a compassionate, holistic and evidenced-based approach that incorporates elements of CBT, ACT, DBT, mindfulness, positive psychology, and more.
Her areas of passion and specialization include:
- Existential concerns (e.g., finding meaning and purpose, coping with loss)
- Empowerment and assertiveness
- Interpersonal functioning
- LGBT (including documentation for gender affirming treatments)
- Sexuality and sexual health (using a sex positive approach)